Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Sarah Palin: So Far Right She's Wrong"




I admit that I was rather fascinated by McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his VP pick initially. She was so new to the national political stage that it seemed like a potentially hopeful moment for women in politics, even if I could tell that I didn't agree with her point of view. Well, what a difference a month or two makes! Any optimism I had about her has vanished now that she has been exposed as a figure who has about as much background (and interest) in foreign policy as I do. Plus, her extremely divisive speeches on the campaign trail seem calculated to whip their intended targets into a frenzy of righteousness.

She's still a fascinating character to watch, but I would be scared to have her anywhere near the White House because I strongly disagree with her political agenda and also believe she would be too easy for others to control--which is probably why she was picked in the first place.

Anyhow, I ran across a bulletin on MySpace (I know, MySpace is SO 2005) that was talking about an anti-Palin rally in Anchorage, Alaska. I guess it took place in mid-September and was quite possibly the largest political rally in Alaska's history. There were about 1400 anti-Palin demonstrators and perhaps 100 pro-Palin folks as well. Looking at the pictures in the article on Huffington Post or reading the article in the Washington Post, I really got a sense of community from this grass roots effort.

My favorite homemade sign?
"Jesus was a community organizer. Pontius Pilate was
a governor."

1 comment: