Saturday, May 31, 2008

Construction Junction





I'm having a hard time getting any good super secret spy photos anymore since they fenced off the parking lot across the street and started tearing down the building. Living right off of Broadway I do see a lot of people that would be perfect for my purposes, but I usually don't have my camera on me. And they might get pissed if I randomly took their photos. Although come on, if you are going to wear some crazy get up and walk all over Capitol Hill, you are obviously trying to attract attention. You aren't fooling anybody. We know you just want to be looked at.

Anyhow, they fenced it all off across the street as you can see in the first photo. And last weekend there was a slew of firefighters who were conducting training and spent all day Saturday and Sunday on the roof cutting holes with chainsaws wearing all that gear. Keep in mind it was sunny and in the 70s. Ugh. Finally we got some action this week with the heavy equipment! The last two pictures show how they are tearing the building apart. It still is only halfway down. No action today. I guess they don't work on weekends.

It is sort of fun to watch people walk by and look at the building all torn apart. I'm sure I'm not alone in having memories of shopping there when it was QFC. And it is interesting watching the demolition guys use the huge, um, machine-thingies to tear the building apart and then sort the pieces so that they have a pile of twisted metal, a pile of crumbled concrete, a pile of wire bits, and a pile of mish-mash including wood, ceiling tiles, insulation, etc.

No comments: