Friday, November 14, 2008

gay marriage musings



Snotty had a couple posts recently talking about California's Proposition 8 and Connecticut's gay marriage laws. I was certainly disappointed that Prop 8 passed, and today I ran across an article by William Saletan that discussed how black voters likely had a large role in the proposition being approved.

According to Saletan:
They [blacks] think sexual orientation is different from race. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke of a nation in which individuals would be judged not "by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Whites, on balance, have come to believe that sexual orientation, like color, is immutable. Blacks, on balance, haven't. They see homosexuality as a matter of character. "I was born black. I can't change that," one California man explained after voting for Proposition 8. "They weren't born gay; they chose it."

He eventually sums up the article with:
From prenatal hormones to genetics to birth order, scientists have been sifting data to nail down homosexuality's biological origins. As they advance, it will become easier and easier to persuade African-Americans that being gay is a lot like being black. The lesson of Proposition 8 isn't that blacks have stopped the march of gay rights. The lesson is that when they turn, the fight in blue America will essentially be over.

And while I'm on the subject, I had left a silly comment on one of Snotty's posts apologizing for being gay and ruining marriage for anybody. Of course then I realized that it did have a hand in ruining my marriage with my ex-wife. Woops! Maybe I'm part of the gay agenda to destroy the sanctity of marriage after all?

Oh, and Bryn has a better idea than gay marriage. Civil unions for all, gay or straight. Then you can get "married" through whatever type of religious/spiritual ceremony you want in addition. Move back to the whole "separation of church and state" thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous social worker said...

wow, I didn't know you where gay.
I gonna have to stop reading your blog.






JUST KIDDING!!!
yes, pop 8 is lame.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

*shakes her fist at black people*

Well, not ALL of them. Only the ones I don't know. I imagine this is an interesting time to live in if you enjoy sociology. The humans we have around right now to study are FASCINATING.

Manthony said...

Haha Franco, very funny!

And Snotty, maybe we can put all of those students with "useless" sociology degrees to some sort of good use after all.