Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Anime!!!!


I've been watching Azumanga Daioh today since a friend lent it to me recently. I have no idea what is going on, but it is fascinating to watch. One of my favorite things about it is the opening credits song, which has a line saying (according to the subtitles) something about "fancy hearing cake" and talking about the temptations of fluffy wheat.

I knew that the Japanese had a thing about schoolgirls, but from an American perspective it seems really weird to have a cartoon about high school girls that also has an obvious male pedophile working at the school. And the voiceovers are kind of funny since there is a girl from Osaka who in English has a southern twang to let viewers know that she is from the countryside. Plus there is this whole thing with the mysterious Miss Sakaki who is absolutely perfect, but keeps trying to pet cats and then gets bitten.

Like I said, I really don't know what is going on. But it's fun to watch!

No comments: