Monday, July 14, 2008

Mercer Slough


My last post was about being nerdy and this one will only further damn me. On Saturday morning I attended a breakfast and "hard hat" tour of the construction site at the Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center in Bellevue. Yes, I was brave and ventured over to the eastside, and it wasn't just the free breakfast that got me there. What I was most interested in was getting a tour from the lead architect on the project, Mark Johnson from Jones & Jones in Seattle. They had also done the Cedar River Watershed Education Center which I visited last week, so I thought it would be a good chance to compare the two similar projects.

Not much to say about it other than it was pretty cool. I could rattle off some statistics or talk about the LEED certification it is getting, but that would be boring. Basically, if it was a home, I would totally live there. Unfortunately, it is going to house (in the future) 40,000 children annually who will be learning about wetlands, so I think I'll probably be staying far, far away.

No comments: