Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My One Pride Weekend Gay Event


As I mentioned in my last post, I got home on Friday and then had to work all weekend. Which could have been terrible, except that it was so hot out that I didn't mind working and being in an air-conditioned environment. Even though I do frequently get overheated while working, at least it wasn't as bad as the muggy, swamp-air that was percolating outdoors.

Anyhow, on Saturday night after I got off work I had to go meet my Dad and his roommate at McCaw Hall for a Seattle Men's Chorus concert featuring Leslie Jordan. I will say three things about the concert:

  1. Leslie Jordan was hilarious.
  2. Every time I see the SMC, they are gayer than the time before. For instance, instead of "Loco-motion" they sang "Homo-motion."
  3. The SMC choreography reminds me of an over-the-top elementary school production. It makes me cringe. The song choices, the movements, the outfits, the props... It all seems like some terrible experiment at cramming as many gay stereotypes into one musical experience as possible.

After that, I was really rather relieved that I worked on Sunday and couldn't go to the Pride parade. I'd had my fill. Besides, if I wasn't interested in drinking all day long, what fun would the Pride festivities be?

Oh, and one last thing! Since I was at Pilchuck over my birthday, my Dad comes into McCaw Hall carrying a crumpled paper grocery bag with some CD's and books from the thrift store he works at in it. So I got to enjoy my concert experience with that. And the paper bag tore when it was under my seat. I was barely able to make it to my car without the thing falling entirely to pieces. My Dad is hilarious!

No comments: