Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Heading out...



Today I'm leaving for two-and-a-half weeks for a session at Pilchuck Glass School. I'll be stuck up in the forest in Stanwood, WA the whole time. Forced to do nothing but work on art. I'm still a little unsure about what the class I'm taking is about exactly. The instructor's letter did little to clear things up for me, but I do know that it has to do with the public art process in one way or another.

I'm always struck by how I seek out things like this and then dread them when the time comes. Not that I think it will be bad, I'm sure this will be a great experience for me. Yet, I strongly dislike being thrust into a new and unknown environment all by myself. It's like starting a new job or the first day of school. I find it amusing because it isn't as if I'm resistant to change at all, in fact, I thrive on change! Probably it has to do with my worrying nature. Who will my dorm roommates be? What if I snore and keep them awake and they hate me? Will my art be good enough? Are the other students going to look down on me because I'm studying design? Too many worrisome questions that I need to just let go of.

And of course, I leave later today but I still haven't packed everything. Terrible, I know. I should get to it. Bryn got me a flashlight last night, so there's one thing to check off the list! I will get to meet Rick Bartow though, he's an artist in residence during this session and I truly admire his work. I'm sure I'll look back on this post at the end of the month and laugh at my nervousness.

No comments: