Saturday, June 07, 2008

Rush "Savages" Limbaugh




I don't know whether Rush Limbaugh is still particularly relevant anymore, but I ran across an article on Media Matters entitled Limbaugh Called Brazillian Indigenous Tribe "Savages" that caught my interest. The article itself was brief, and seemed to bristle by his use of the word in our current politically-correct climate. Knowing that I was going to be entering a war zone, I decided to take a look at the "comments" section. There was a lot more going on in there, with people arguing that the terms "savage" and "primitive" are correct. And then there were people offended by Rush's use of the term. Bitter diatribes ensued.

Although I accept that "savage" and "primitive" are still used in academic circles, I do think there is a difference between a researcher using the term to describe a culture (whether dead or alive) and Rush using it to support his arguments for colonialist beliefs. Still, I have less of an issue with Limbaugh using the word "savage" than I do with the content of pretty much anything he has to say. He just seems like the original version of Ann Coulter.

I hadn't thought about it in ages, but I remember reading a haiku written about Rush Limbaugh back when I was in high school. (10-15 years ago!!??!!) I really wish I remembered who wrote it and where I read it. For some reason though, I can recall the haiku in its entirety:

Fat-fingered Nazi.
Limbaugh, Limbaugh, Limbaugh, Rush!
Lay off the donuts.

No comments: