Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pilchuck Madness #1


Well, I'm out in the wilderness. We had chipmunks running around in our studio today, across the floor, under tables, on tables, in and out of open backpacks. I've noticed a few ants in my dorm room and I'm at the point where I don't care. They don't seem to be interested in biting me, so I'll let them wander around freely as long as they stay off of my bed. If they want to crawl on my blankets, they will do so at their own peril. Luckily, they are pretty tiny and only appear occasionally.

Today we got to trudge around in the rain between buildings. I know that June is usually not quite as great as I always seem to expect, but I can definitely tell it is colder than usual. My class is going to be more focused on the process of successfully submitting for public art proposals, so I don't know that I'll get a chance to work with glass. I probably could seek it out, but don't know if I'm going to or not. I will, however, be playing in the print studio for sure! Making monotypes looks fun, and there are is a slew of ink colors to play with!

The artist-in-residence that I was excited to meet and see working isn't here after all. Instead, he was replaced (for reasons unknown to me) with Marcus Amerman, another Native artist that I am familiar with. Both Amerman and the other artist (Rick Bartow) were included in my curatorial proposal I made as my final for my "Contemporary Art History" class, so I'm not really too disappointed. Just talked to Marcus at dinner too, and he seems really cool. He'll be showing slides of his work tonight after dinner, which ends in about 15 minutes.

Speaking of dinner, they do feed us really well here! Although I hear that the food is way better this year than in the past.

No comments: