Monday, June 16, 2008

iphone envy


Generally I feel pretty content with my life and what I have. Unfortunately, the internets conspire on a regular basis to make me want things I don't own. (Television usually has the same effect on a larger scale, which is a big part of why I don't have one.)

I was randomly reading an article about Comparing the iPhone's 'true' price that I saw advertised on MSN's home page. Their tactics worked on me! I clicked the link, read the article, and thought about how nice it would be to own a shiny new phone with lots of features. The fact that I would be spending about $2000 over the next two years for the phone and plan actually seemed like it wasn't too bad. Until I realized that if my phone happens to last two more years, I would only be spending about $780.

Don't need it. It's pretty, but I don't need it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I want one eventually but its just one of those luxury items, do i really need it? Exactly. The new one is launching soon right?

FreNeTic said...

i'm going to get one. can't. stop. myself.

i love the idea of not creating unnecessary need...and i get frustrated at how efficient we are, as a society, at strengthening this compulsive behaviour.

but i have to have it.

Manthony said...

to marko: I think the new one is out already! Maybe? Not sure...

to frenetic: It's really easy for me to say that I won't get one when I'm living at an art commune in the middle of the forest. We'll see what happens when I get back to the city...